Make it extra special
Mothering Sunday is all about celebrating mothers, and what better way to do this than making her a present?
Our fabric hearts craft idea will make a sentimental keepsake for your mother figure to treasure. The fabric hearts can be adapted into key chains, scented hearts or simply decorations. See our guide to making fabric hearts below.
All you need…
- Embroidery thread
- Craft stuffing
- Key ring and chain (optional)
- Ribbon (optional)
- Heart template
- Select your favourite fabric for your heart. Our delicate Ambleside floral prints are ideal
- Using a template, on the reverse of your fabric draw two heart silhouettes (please note your shape will reduce in size slightly once sewn and stuffed)
- Cut out both your heart shapes
- Decorate one (or both) of your hearts with buttons and hand stitching details. You can even add a personal message using embroidery thread if you are feeling ambitious!
- Once embellished, lay right sides facing together and sew around the edge joining both hearts together. Leave a 3cm opening at the top of the heart shape
- Turn the fabric right sides out and fill your shape with craft stuffing
- Here you can add in a key ring chain or a ribbon loop, simply stitch into place in the opening
- Finally secure the opening by neatly hand stitching together
Add dried lavender to your fabric hearts stuffing to make them smell beautiful!
If you can’t pick one favourite fabric, use a different fabric for each side.